Friday, October 2, 2009

Bakkwa

I was happy to see this on our tabletop when I arrived home yesterday from work. After a week, this is the only thing that delighted me. I asked my cousin’s wife, Jenna to buy me this meat preserve from Singapore. Bakkwa is one of the many Chinese deli, which I find irresistible even if this piece of meat is unhealthy…, blah blah.

My first bakkwa bite was in 2005, when a co-worker brought half kilo for everyone to share. From then on, every time I have friends going to SG or HK I would asked them to buy me. I love it too when our generous forwarders based in SG would send us packs of this during Chinese New Year.

Bakkwa is Chinese dried meat, made in the form of flat thin sheets. Mostly pork preserved with sugar and salt and then kept for later consumption. Commercially available bakkwa is sometimes also labeled as "barbecued pork," and "dried pork". For taste, I can fairly compare this to our local tocino.

Though the only brand I tasted was that of Bee Cheng Hiang, I can say that their recipe and preservation have pave way to a really good-quality bakkwa. BCH makes soft bakkwa and is considered a premium brand. And even it’s locally available in Manila I haven’t try buying here, but will definitely check this franchise outlet in Robinsons Place Ermita soon.

Philippnes Franchise: 1 Outlet

Level 1, Space 118 Robinsons Place – Manila, M. Adriatico Street Malate (Ermita), Metro Manila 1004, Philippines

2 comments:

  1. thumbs up for this! we'd always buy that whenever we visit singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saw BCH at WTC during the World Bazaar, half kilo cost P700, hay!

    ReplyDelete