Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Halloween treats at home

this is suman sa lihiya

I grew up with home goodies and treats during the entire Halloween that is All Saint’s Day and All Soul’s Day respectively.


biko, if wrapped in banana leaves this will be suman sa gata

I remember how my Lolo and Lola would start preparing suman and biko a day before Nov 1. Our dining table would be filled with banana leaves, rice mixture and coconut. It’s actually a combined activity of my grandparents, my Lola would put the rice mixture on the banana leaf and fold it and my Lolo would be the one to tie it abaca twine. They would normally come up with 5 dozens of suman sa lihiya and another 2 dozen of suman sa gata, which were prepared separately.

Eventually when my Lolo and Lola passed away, my Nanay was left doing all these. Except on the boiling process, my Tatay would man over. I know I have to learn the whole process of this family tradition as early as now, and my sister too. I want this one to live and probably pass it to our next generation. Though it is a simple one, the thing is it’s still very Filipino and very probinsya like.

You maybe wondering why do we need to cook at least 7 dozens of suman every Halloween? Well, it’s our treat to visiting relatives during this occasion :)


4 comments:

  1. wow, kakanin! biko! suman! we have almost similar family tradition every undas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and amidst the city life, I love to retain this family tradition every undas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband too :)

    thanks for the comment...

    ReplyDelete